If I've said it once, I've said it ten times

I found a writing prompt generator on the interwebs and the prompt it spat out at me was, "write a poem of 10 lines, each line starting with I say". Sometimes it's just as simple as that. (When I say "simple" I actually mean the exact opposite.)

This took me far longer than it should have. I just couldn't seem to make the words fit together on the page. It's was like trying to solve a tangram with one of the shapes missing. (Don't know what a tangram is? Google it.)

So, without further ado, here is my "I say" poem.

I say things that make you laugh
I say things I don’t mean
I say that sometimes life is plain shitty
I say that sometimes life is as shitty as you make it
I say what I feel more often that what I think

I say white lies are contagious and necessary
I say I won’t be mad, but I really will

I say you listen but you don’t hear me
I say I love you every morning and every night
I say you are my favorite person because I mean it



Here's the deal. I don't love this as a perfect solid and whole poem. It's not great and it doesn't "hang" together like I want it to. However, there are a few lines I'm particularly enamored with that might make for a pretty good piece after it rolls around in my brainspace for a little while. It needs to marinate in melancholy song lyrics and memories of sad after school specials.

...sometimes I need to scribble and doodle. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The dark that lives inside.

The one where I need a suit of bubble wrap because the hits keep coming

In the middle of nowhere, but I have everything.