Now I know what is *NOT* helpful mood music

Let me take you back. Thursday night. The plan fell into place perfectly. Serendipity at its finest. Husband left for some night fishing, daughter was doing her nightly reading, the dogs were outside - - all was quiet and well. I thought to myself, "Jenn, what a perfect time to put down on paper all those thoughts rattling around in your head." So I did.  And for 20 minutes it was glorious...

Then I was startled out of my skivvies by the incredibly loud kitchen timer my child sets to indicate she has done her required reading. Yes, my 20 minutes of quiet time were over. That sweet child of mine looked at me with her big baby blues and said, "Is it okay if I watch some music videos on YouTube before bed? I'll keep it down so you can finish writing (blink, blink, smile)." Oh, do you think I could deny her? No. The answer is no.

Usually, I can handle music in the background. In fact, there are times I purposely play music while writing. It can help set a mood or tone for me. Do you know what kind of music does not set a helpful writing mood and is impossible to ignore? DISNEY MOVIE SONGS. That's right. I said it. Disney songs. Apparently I cannot concentrate when "Under the Sea", "A Whole New World", "Be Our Guest", and "Hakuna Matata" are playing. At first, I found my eyes gravitating towards our computer screen. Then I was mouthing the words. Next came the head bobbing. Followed by the "saying" of the lyrics. By the time she was on the fourth or fifth song I had my chair snug up against hers, singing my face off, and my "give a shit" meter was firmly pegged at zero. Ugh. I couldn't even be bothered with embarrassment. Never mind the fact that I was smack in the middle of what could possibly turn out to be one of my better pieces of work to date. Let's stop everything and sing about effing flying carpets and dancing crabs! Alas. This is my life. As the talking candlestick said to the genie of the lamp, "The seaweed is always greener in somebody else's lake,"...or something like that. Whatever.  Don't judge me. Hakuna Matata.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The dark that lives inside.

The one where I need a suit of bubble wrap because the hits keep coming

In the middle of nowhere, but I have everything.